Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Simple Roasted Veggie Quesadillas

Monday, September 14, 2009

Simple Roasted Veggie Quesadillas

I believe I promised to post about these a week or two ago, but alas, I suck and am have been a bad blogger, but hey - better late than never right?

I am a self-taught cook, and have also "developed" my own palette, and one thing I continually discover is that the simplest things are not only often the best, but in a strange way they are also the hardest. It is because with fewer ingredients there is less room for error, you can't cover up an overcooked tomato if tomato is one of three ingredients in the dish. Anyway, there were no mishaps in this little simplistic kitchen adventure, but I have had my fair share. This isn't really anything special, but it is a great combination of flavors and textures that really showcase all the abundance that is available at this time of year.


The local booty legend (aka revealing my sources):
no asterisk = grocery store
+ = local produce from The Root Cellar
++ = The Peace Nook (will denote whether product is local or just from the Nook)
* = farmer's market
** = CSA
*** = Container or Community Garden
**** = the non-profit buying club, Blue Planet or Purcell Mountain Farms

Simple Roasted Veggie Quesadillas:
1 yellow summer squash, ends removed **
1 red bell pepper, washed **
2 tomatillos, husked and washed ***
2 serranos, seeded and minced ***
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 yellow onion, sliced thin *
4-6 tbsp. canola oil, divided evenly
salt
pepper
flour tortillas
queso fresco or non-dairy "cheese"
salsa *

Preheat oven to 400.

Drizzle half the canola oil over squash, bell pepper, and tomatillos. Season with salt and pepper.

Roast in oven for about 30 minutes, turning the veggies about half way through to get even cooking.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a skillet. Add the serranos, garlic, and onions, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.

When veggies come out of the oven, allow the veggies to cool. Once cool enough to handle, chop the stem off the bell pepper, peel it (the skin should slide off easily), remove the seeds, and slice. Slice the squash and tomatillos.

Layer veggies and cheese in a warmed flour tortilla and fry if desired. Serve with salsa - the hotter the better.

'Til next time.

6 comments:

hmd said...

What a picture to wake up to! Ok. I'm getting out of bed now... Hungry...

Kory said...

those would go great with some of the homemade mole sauce our friends left us on saturday.

Bianca said...

Yummy in my tummy! I had a quick vegan chicken and cheeze quesadilla for dinner last night. But your roasted veggie one sounds better!

T said...

Simple things are the hardest- how true is that! Its amazing how much I can fuck up, say, green beans.

These look divine, and I'm sure the fresh local veggies make all the difference. :)

Chile said...

That sounds delicious. I had an awesome quesadilla last night using leftovers from the night before and from breakfast out at our local vegan restaurant. I spread my whole wheat tortilla first with a vegan cheese sauce from Jo Stepaniak's Uncheese cookbook. Then I stuffed it with fire-roasted chiles, sauteed sweet onions, home-fries, and a chopped up vegan link sausage. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

You do NOT suck! But you are right--simple IS delicious, and these look like they fit the bill perfectly!

Courtney