I love these fun little surveys (which is weird, because as an Institutional Research Analyst, part of my job is to respond to external data requests, which in a lot of ways, is like filling out a survey). I found this one over at Romina’s blog Vegan Eating for One (an awesome blog you all should be visiting if you aren’t already).
1. If you have to choose between locally grown or organic, which do you usually choose?
Local – the food does not have to travel as far, saving resources, and is generally fresher, and definitely good for your local economy. Not to mention, much of the local produce I purchase is organic, even if it isn’t certified as such, these small farmers simply can’t afford the certification process.
2. Favorite way to prepare potatoes:
Roasted with fresh garlic, onion, jalapenos, habaneras, Caribbean peppers, Thai chili peppers, chili powder, cumin, and salt. (Note, this is not necessarily Brett’s favorite way, these are really spicy!)
3. Do you press your tofu before preparing/cooking it (if you eat soy)?
Sometimes if the recipe calls for it.
4. Name your favorite recipe that is a tradition in your family:
Banana nut bread! This is also easily veganized.
5. Any food allergies?
Dairy and fake food (that one is not really an allergy but……)
6. When you want to go to a fancy dinner, where do you go?
7. When you have a cold, what do you crave?
Soup with lots of beans and veggies.
8. What kind of water do you drink? (Filtered, spring, tap, etc.)
Filtered tap water. Though I am going to start harassing the City of Columbia to reduce the amount of chlorine in the water so I don’t have to use a filter.
9. Name a flavor of soda you'd love to see:
I like Izze alright, don’t really drink soda beyond that and Izze has the flavors I would crave anyway.
10. If the recipes you ate as a child were compiled into a cookbook, what would the title be?
What Restaurant Will We Be Eating At Tonight? (Mom wasn’t a big cooker)
11. If you were allowed to grow one food that can't grow in your climate, what would it be?
Oooooh tough one. Either coffee or tea, oh wait, chocolate, hmmmm. I can’t decided, but one of those that I listed.
12. Favorite type of mushroom?
A cooked one. :-)
13. Most frustrating part of your kitchen?
It’s smallness and how poorly designed it was. I have a cabinet that can’t be used because you can’t open the door all the way, it hits the stove.
14. Last food you burned?
Sautéed veggies I wasn’t paying enough attention to.
15. Usual response to a veg*n's favorite question, "But where do you get your protein?":
From everywhere you’re not.
16. If you were baking your own birthday cake today, what flavor would it be?
Well I am craving coffee and fruit right now, so I’d say Mocha Raspberry (or strawberry, cherry, etc)
17. Favorite brand of chocolate chips?
Tropical Source, though they come from so far away.
18. You have $200 of your tax return reserved for Williams Sonoma- What do you buy?
I don’t actually know what Williams Sonoma is, I’m guessing it’s a store we don’t have here.
19. Do you plan your menus in advance? Any tips to share?
I don’t own a car so I generally like to plan my meals in half week increments. On Friday, I shop for food for Saturday through Tuesday or Wednesday. Then I make a mid-week trip for the rest. This will all change during the summer when the farmer’s market is around. Then, it plans my meals, not me!
20. You have 3 minutes before you have to leave the house and you're starving- What do you eat?
Either a piece of fruit, a granola bar, a handful of nuts, or if I’m feeling ‘naughty’ a couple of dairy-free, wheat-free Newman O’s.
21. If Martha Stewart, Paula Deen, and Rachel Ray got into a fight, who would win and how?
Rachel Ray would likely irritate the others to death with that voice of hers.
22. If you eat oatmeal, what do you add to it before serving?
Hemp milk, cinnamon, agave, flax seeds, and a fruit of some sort. I add nuts from time to time as well.
23. If you got to travel to one country and learn all the traditional dishes there, where would you go (ignore commitments in your current place of residence)?
Japan or Mexico!
24. Favorite late night snack?
I don't like to eat before I go to bed.
25. Favorite springtime food?
26. Favorite food-related magazine?
Um, I don’t really read magazines.
27. Which do you prefer: shoyu, tamari, conventional soy sauce, or Bragg's Aminos?
28. What vegetable or fruit do you dislike the most?
29. Name a holiday food you look forward to all year long:
Stuffing and savory grains.
30. If you could convert anyone to veganism with your magic wand, who would you convert?
Pretty fun stuff, I'd be curious what other veg*ns' responses to this are too.
I made some vegan sushi yesterday, all of which were very good, but the pictures are on my camera at home (and I'm at work right now), so I'll probably post about that later.