Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Fiery Black Bean, Corn, and Chile Quesadillas

Friday, July 18, 2008

Fiery Black Bean, Corn, and Chile Quesadillas

The other night we had another really yummy, yet simple meal made out of mostly local ingredients. And this one did not require me to heat up my apartment for nearly as long. As much as I love potatoes, I hope we don't get more in our CSA this week, all the ways I can think to prepare them require heat. Ick.

Anyways, these were a bit on the spicy side according to Brett, so if you make this, keep that in mind and perhaps either cut down on the fresh chiles or use regular instead of chipotle chile powder.















Fiery Black Bean, Corn, and Chile Quesadillas

Note: This recipe makes enough for 3 quesadillas. We each had one for dinner and I took the leftovers in to work.

2 cups black beans, cooked
1 cup sweet corn, cooked
1 zucchini, diced
1 purple bell pepper, seeded and minced (any bell pepper would work fine)
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 banana pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 yellow onion, minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
juice of half a lime
chipotle chili powder
cumin
ground coriander
Mexican oregano
white pepper
salt

tortillas

Heat a few tablespoons of water in a small skillet. Add the zucchini, peppers, onion and garlic and cook for 10-15 minutes or until soft. Drain any excess water.

Combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl and season to taste.

Layer filling in warmed tortillas and fry if desired.

Serve with salsa.

'Til next time.

10 comments:

hmd said...

Hmm. Yeah. If you ever want to be a personal chef, we have an extra room in our house... you could have your own bathroom and everything... :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

It's on the spicy side, you say?? Sounds absolutely FANTASTIC!! :0)

Unknown said...

You can be my chef too!

Alicia said...

Good idea to use more zucchini, they still have tons of them at the farmer's market! But I'm trying to use up all my legumes before buying more, so this will be a lentils week!

Unknown said...

no.... be my chef. :) i have a cherry tree & a walnut tree... and lots of land for a garden.... :)

anyways. it looks wonderful. can you guys have a grill at your apt.? or do you? we will often roast our potatoes in a foil pack on the grill outside so we dont have to heat up the kitchen.

J said...

Heather - Haha! My own bathroom, eh? Now that IS tempting. :-)

Veggie Girl - You and I would get along, I would have someone to swoon over habanero sauce with. Brett was fairly happy when the habanero plant died...

Cookiemouse - Haha! Amsterdam might be fun.

Alice - We HAVE to, they are everywhere, they take over the Midwest, I'm serious. They are going crazy in our garden, we are always getting them in our CSA, we have to figure out all sorts of crazy things to do with them.

Mmmmm, I love green lentils. Especially in taco salad.

Selina - Wow, pulling out the big guns! The cherry tree? I'm a fruitaholic! The land? We have a porch and a small piece of dirt (though we are thankful to have both). As I said before, I AM a Colts fan... A walnut tree too???

There is a "community grill" on the side of our building,but to be honest, I'm not sure the thing has ever been cleaned. And we live on the second floor, so we can't have a grill on it since it's a fire hazard. We are thinking about getting a George Foreman "grill", we have an outlet right by our back door, so I could take the thing outside and grill my heart out without worrying about setting the buillding on fire.

jessy said...

oh my goodness, Jennifer - this looks sooooooo good! colorful & tasty - it's beautiful! i'm going to have to try this recipe with all these veggies we got! thanks! :D

J said...

Jessy - Thanks, I hope you guys like it!

Erin said...

Ooh yummy! Love quesadillas.

J said...

Erin - Me too!