Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Muffins and Spicy Anasazi Bean and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Muffins and Spicy Anasazi Bean and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash

Yesterday, I made Happy Herbivore’s Apple Crisp Muffins. I was originally planning on making her Sweet Potato & Maple Muffins earlier this week, but the yam I baked was eaten before I got home from work the next day (Brett didn’t know they were for the muffins). Anyways, I pretty much always have apples around, so it all worked out. These are fantastic! They really do taste like an apple crisp. I’ve already had three since I made them yesterday! Now my pictures aren’t as pretty as HH's, I overfilled the muffin cups, so they kind of spewed out a bit, but they are still oh so tasty!















Now, the only thing I don’t like about muffins is my pan. You see, muffins stick to it like nothing else, so you either use muffin cups or grease the hell out of the tin (which is still no guarantee), I don’t like either of these options, but as of late have chosen to avoid greasing the pan, but feel bad about all the muffin cup papers that I have to use. I am thinking of not making muffins anymore, and just making breads, since my bread pan is glass and doesn’t have a sticking problem and doesn’t require me to waste lots of paper. Anyone know if you could make a loaf out of this recipe? I’m wondering if it can be done to other muffin recipes or if the proportions would be off…

Anyways, for dinner I made Spicy Anasazi Bean and Quinoa Stuffed Roasted Acorn Squash. This meal was hearty, healthy and super tasty. I have been mulling over other things to stuff acorn squash with since the last time I made it as most of the recipes you find are sweet and acorn squashes are much more versatile than that. No one should be surprised that I ended up with a Mexican inspired idea, and that yams, hot peppers, and guacamole make their way in to the meal. I will make a guacamole tag as well, I make it at least once a week, it’s one of my favorite foods, and so simple too. Anasazi beans are really good; they are a traditional Native American bean that is used in Native American (of course) or Mexican dishes. Pinto would work just as well in here though. We had chips and guacamole with this, but ended up not eating the chips and just putting the guacamole on the squash.















Here's a picture of the Anasazi beans before the were soaked and cooked, they are lovely beans dry, but really don't look like anything special once cooked. Brett said they reminded him of cows dry, it almost made me feel bad for eating them. :-(




























Spicy Anasazi Bean and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
Stuffing:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 cups anasazi (or pinto) beans cooked
1 small can of black olives, drained
1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
1 yam/sweet potato, cubed and roasted
1-2 roasted jalapenos, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
chili powder
cumin
Mexican oregano
chipotle chili powder
salt
cayenne (optional)
splash veggie broth

simple guacamole
blue corn chips (optional)

Rise quinoa in a wire mesh strainer.

Bring water to a boil, add quinoa and reduce heat, simmering for 15-20 minutes or until all liquid abosrbed.

In a large skillet, heat a tablespoon or so of water and cook garlic until soft.

Add the rest of the ingredients until heated through.

Stuff into roasted acorn squash halves. Top with guacamole.

'Til next time.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome meal! I love spicy Mexican food.

MeloMeals said...

I use silicone baking cups... have you tried them?

Your bean/quinoa dish looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I have silicone baking cups too, but I also found these "If You Care" brand baking cups at my co-op for when I am taking my muffins/cupcakes places (I don't know...I just think it seems a little more hygienic with the wrappers). They are 100% unbleached and they are recyclable. Don't know if that is helpful or not!

Your meal looks great--I love stuffing squash!

Courtney

J said...

Cookiemouse - Thanks, I'm trying to get more creative in my cooking, Mexican is my favorite cuisine, and I'm trying to create recipes that don't all use tortillas. :-) Oh, and spicy food is my favorite, the spicier the better.

Melody - I have never seen those. Thanks for the tip! I'm going to have to see if I can find them.

Thanks it was tasty!

Courtney - Why have I never heard of these baking cups? Neat, those recyclable unbleached cups would be perfect when you want to take your muffins or cupcakes in some where. Thanks!

Thanks about the meal, it was great. I love stuffing squash too, I can't wait to see what kind of crazy squash I find at the farmer's market this year.

T said...

What an amazing looking flavor combo! I just love squash, but I rarely straw outside of roasting it or using it in risottos and curries. This sounds like just the ticket to get out of that rut.

Oh and guacomole... drool!

As far as baking cups go, I'm with Courtney and Melody and use silicone ones which flex to pop the muffins out easily. But some nice non-stick spray with flour in it could also work.

Alison Nicole said...

I was just thinking I wanted to make muffins soon! Now you have most definitely inspired me :o)

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

I am making the sweet potato muffins tonight (again) and there is a note on the yams "DO NOT EAT" :P I learned from Brett... hehehe.

I am SO GLAD you liked the muffins!! I got a negative review for them and was quite sad because I thought they were awesome --- and yours look just as good as mine..

On another note. Those beans put a HUGE smile on my face! Look at how GORGEOUS they are!

and your acorn squash! Was this for me :) :) :)
I'm going to have to buy more at the market this week and make BOTH of your dishes! MMM (p.s. i see we both like to stuff things!)

Oh & I don't use baking cups. I invested in a non-stick. GLORIOUS and worth every penny!

Anonymous said...

Mmm. That stuffed squash looks fantastic. I love quinoa. =)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Muffins that taste like apple crisp? Sounds really good to me.

I think I'll go buy a winter squash today.

J said...

T - Thanks, I thought I was being creative! It's easy to get in a rut with things. I don't make risottos enought!

I know guacamole has my heart (well and Brett of course - hehe)

Alison Nichole - Aw thanks! I can't wait to see what kind of tasty treats you come up with!

Happy Herbivore - Hahahahaha! If Scott eats them......

Those muffins are fantastic, it's hard to believe they are fat free! Aside from the sugar, there's not much to complain about as far as 'bad' ingredients go, and I'm not opposed to sugar in moderation, so these are a winner in my book. Brett even thought they were good and he is some one who 'doesn't like muffins'. I'll just have to remember not to overfill the cups (or pan, whatever I use next time). And by the way, the brown sugar/oat topping really took these to another level, they wouldn't have been the same without it.

I know!!! Why can't beans retain their beauty after soaking and cooking?!

Haha, when I was making the squash I thought about your troubles finding creative stuffing recipes. :-)

I hope you like them, though I imagine you would like this one better than the other, as it had a lot of mushrooms in it.

I am curious about stuffing zucchini or butternut. Oh, glorious butternut......

Romina - Thanks, I use quinoa so much! I bought a huge bag the other day from the bulk section and we've already made a nice dent in it. :-)

Chocolate Covered - They really DO taste like apple crisp, delightful. Her recipe even calls for a brown sugar/at topping that gets a little caramelized and is OH SO GOOD.

Woohoo, more squash love!

Monika K said...

I've officially decided not to read your blog when I'm hungry - everything just looks too good (especially that bright green guac). I've got a crappy muffin tin, too. You have my sympathies. (-:

P.S. I was tagged by Veg Momma and wanted to sort of unofficially tag you for the same thing. If you have time and the interest, feel free to post 5 facts about yourself for us, your eager readership (see my latest blog for an example).

J said...

Haha! Aw, thanks! I wish I could stop doing that, I'll be at work in the mornings munching on a granola bar, looking at blogs wishing I had what I saw on my screen!

At least I'm not the only one with a crappy muffin tin! I wish I wasn't such a freak about things, it's hard for me to bring myself to buy new things 'cause it's bad for the planet, or the people making the product aren't being treated well or something, I suppose it's a good way to be, but I frustrate myself sometimes in that I have such an internal debate over something that I would actually use!

Thanks for the tag!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Can you believe I"ve never had anasazi beans? Me neither. I must fix that.

J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J said...

Oh, they are fantastic and take less time to cook than, say, pinto beans. I also read somewhere they they contain a good deal less of the stuff that makes you all 'tooty', though to be honest, I don't really have that problem with beans, though if I did, I probably wouldn't eat them as much as I do, if I did, I'd likely be single. Hehe. :-)

Animal-Friendly said...

I always think of acorn squash being eaten as a sweet side dish since that's the only way my mom ever made it when I was little, but I think I'll definitely try this recipe since it will be so different from what I'm used to!

J said...

Animal-Friendly - You should try it a different way! Acorn squash is so versatile!

To be honest, I've never had it the 'traditional' way, you know, a sweet side, I'll have to try it like that.