Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Veggie and Bean Burros

Friday, March 28, 2008

Veggie and Bean Burros

So I was telling Lindsay (the Happy Herbivore) yesterday that I should have named my blog 'What Will I Think To Stuff Into A Tortilla Next.' It's so true. Now, we all have our 'things', for some it's pasta, others bread, for me it is tortillas in pretty much any form except those that contain lard or lots of icky preservatives. I am also passionately addicted to guacamole. Who knew what wonder and beauty would come from mixing avocado, garlic, lime and just a couple of spices, it's amazing.

Anyways, I'm done waxing poetic about guacamole, but you shouldn't be surprised that it is an accompaniment to the dinner that is the subject of this post.

Upon reading the ingredients list of this recipe one might find it a bit odd, but trust me, all these veggies work very well together and with the seasoning combination. I would have never thought to put broccoli or cauliflower in Mexican had I not had fajitas with broccoli and cauliflower at a place in Illinois that were out of this world. I think, more than anything, the spice combination is what is important.

Note: Again, if you don't want to use a tortilla, you could always just serve this over rice, quinoa or millet. I also had some left over navy beans so I threw them in here too, you could use just black beans or just navy beans too if preferred.




















Veggie and Bean Burros
(Makes enough filling for 4 burros.)

1/2 cup navy beans, cooked
1 cup black beans, cooked
can chopped green chilies, drained
1 zucchini, roasted and sliced
1 cup cauliflower, cooked
1 cup broccoli, cooked
cumin
Mexican oregano
ground coriander
chili powder
salt

tortillas
guacamole
salsa

In a medium sized bowl, mix together warmed beans, green chilies, and spices to taste.

In a separate bowl, combine all the veggies except the yams.

Layer bean mixture, veggie mixture, and yams in a warmed tortilla. Roll up and fry if you like.

Top with guacamole and salsa.

I hope everyone enjoys their Friday!

'Til next time.

13 comments:

Bianca said...

Yummy...yams in a burrito? That sounds great! And they look so pretty and colorful.

On the mud cookies, they didn't fully set so they were a little gooey. I cut the sugar in half from the original recipe and my mom said that could have been a factor. So if you make them, add 2 cups of sugar and not one (that's what the original said...I was just trying to make them healthier).

Also, I added some info to the blog about letting the mixture boil a minute longer before removing from the heat.

Gooey or not, they still taste the same....

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

Mmmm... this looks great! And may I say that you are a tortilla wrapping master; I guess practice makes perfect.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

uhg, yum. again! you are my mexican queen! You better stop with all the burritos or my husband will leave me for you!

ChickPea said...

Just curious, what is the difference between a burro and burrito? My Spanish tells me that the burrito would be smaller, but maybe there's more of a distinction. Regardless, it looks TASTY! All your cooking inspired me to whip up a Mexican lunch today...I'll be sure to post it!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

LOL that would be a funny blog name indeed-- but perfect for you!

Sheree' said...

This is the second black bean and yam burrito I have seen in the past two day. It's a sign! I have black beans and yams! Yep on the menu this week!

I love the sprouted corn tortilla's that I get at Whole Foods. They are sooooooo goood!!!

Anonymous said...

Broccoli and cauliflower are good in ANYTHING if you ask me! These sound great!

Courtney

Simple and Divine said...

OK! SUPER DUPER YUM and SO pretty with the avocado on top! Doesn't avocado make you smile =) Gosh I just adore it... With lemon, s+p=heaven!

You know what else makes me smile? THIS picture of Homer Simpson...
(_8()

Bahaha! I'm way too easily entertained.... :)

Ruby Red said...

Oh wow, this is all I could ever want in a burrito! Chocolate Covered Vegan has a recipe for sweet potato burritos, and I think sweet potatoes and beans are just outright awesome together. And I have a new love for navy beans.

Your burritos definitely rival the ones at Chipotle! It's so funny how obsessed with tortillas you are. I guess if I could have one carb only for the rest of forever, it would be either oatmeal or cherry walnut bread. =)

VeganCowGirl said...

Yah! Way to push the limits of respectable burrito ingredients. I say if it can be folded up then get it in there!

Your wraps (in their various incarnations) always look so satisfying and uber-yummy.

And I say....in this world...if we can find passions...then celebrate the heck out of them. Whether they are wraps, animal rights, poetry...if you feel it, then shout it! (or cook it).

I am all about the yam and black bean combo. I would often stick the yam onto boil for a wee bit and then add it to my refried bean mixture.

:)

Rural Vegan said...

Broccoli in fajitas is wonderful! Most of the Mexican restaurants here include it, maybe it's an IL thing?

J said...

Bianca - Oh yes! Yams (or sweet potatoes) and beans were made for each other. Throwing in all those different veggies makes a pretty meal too.

Haha! Brett would heat up his no-bake cookies so they get soft, so I don't think he'd mind. :-) I'll keep your sugar tip in mind, he seemed pretty interested in these.

Kunquat Peekapoo - It took a LONG time for me to be able to roll burritos. Now I can roll mega burros and I love it!

Happy Herbivore - Hahahahahaha!

Chickpea - You are absolutely right, a burro is merely a large burrito. I also believe burro is another term for a donkey too - not sure what the connection there is.

I saw your lunch, it looked awesome!

Chocolate Covered - ;-)

Veg-a-nut - Black beans and yams together rock. It IS a sign. You should make something combining black beans and yams, it is your calling. :-)

Ooooh, sprouted corn tortillas?! Yum. I wish we had a Whole Foods here, but alas, we do not.

Courtney - I completely agree.

Simple and Divine - Aw thanks! Yes avocado DOES make me smile, it's so good.

Hahahaha! That Homer picture made me smile too. ;-)

Ruby Red - I'm going to have to try CCV's refried bean and sweet potato burritos. I agree beans and sweet potatoes = HAPPY MOUTHS.

Why thank you, a lot of people really like Chipotle, I've only been there once I think. I AM obsessed, the tortilla is a staple of the Mexican diet. If the meal isn't wrapped in a tortilla, it is served with tortillas. I'm not going to buck tradition. ;-)

Miss Blueberry - Just trying to see what works! Haha! That's my motto too, but I HAVE been known to terribly overstuff burritos to the point of bursting, so you gotta be careful.

Aw, thanks! They are pretty yummy and filling, and I try to keep things healthy.

I have many passions, but Mexican food is definitely one of them!

I've never had refried beans and yams, I'm going to have to try it.

Rural Vegan - It must be an Illinois thing. We got to Peoria at least once a year to visit Brett's family, so we'll have to try others.

Lizzy said...

I want to eat the filling so bad, I could cry! And that's not because I haven't eaten anything all day, but you come up with the greatest combinations. Damn sunday, I don't have any veggies around. That wouldn't be a problem if only I lived in the US right now *sigh* Oh well, back to staring at your pics and fantasizing what it'd taste like!

And I LOVE the name, ha ha! And it fits 100% Lindsay knows her mexican crazy Jennifer ;)