Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Pineapple Quinoa Stir-Fry with Cashews and Adzuki Beans

Monday, March 3, 2008

Pineapple Quinoa Stir-Fry with Cashews and Adzuki Beans

I had looked at the Pineapple-Cashew-Quinoa Stir-Fry in Veganomicon a few times, but always passed over it as the flavoring just didn’t seem to do it for me. But I really liked the idea of a stir-fry with pineapples, quinoa, and cashews in it. So I thought about improvements awhile to see what I could come up with.

I ended up, big surprise, going with a sweet and spicy sauce (it is a great compromise, the spiciness pleases me, the sweetness pleases Brett and the combination works great), and I added more veggies and some adzuki beans.

I must say, this was a huge hit! And it was loaded with protein; you got quinoa, cashews, and adzuki beans. Brett and I both loved this and he even came up with an idea for a variation for a fruity breakfast stir-fry. I was impressed, it sounds fantastic, I think we’ll have to make it for a weekend brunch sometime soon to see how it turns out.















Pineapple Quinoa Stir-Fry with Cashews and Adzuki Beans

Serves 4-6 (leftovers = yummy, easy work lunches)

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water

Sauce:
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp brown rice vinegar
hot chili oil (to taste)
4 tbsp agave
1" ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
juice of 1/2 a lime
red pepper flakes
cornstarch mixed with water

Stir-Fry Stuff:
4 carrots, peeled, cut into rounds, and boiled
1 cup snap peas, cooked
1 cup broccoli, cooked
1 can organic pineapple pieces
1/2 cup raw organic cashews
1 1/2 cups cooked adzuki beans

Rinse quinoa very well before cooking.

Bring 2 cups water to boil, add quinoa, reduce heat and cook, uncovered until water is absorbed.

While quinoa is cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil, add carrots and cook for about 5 minutes.

Add snap peas and broccoli, cook for a few minutes until all the veggies are soft. Drain.

In a small sauce pan heat water, add garlic and ginger and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients aside from the cornstarch/water mixture.

Once quinoa is cooked, transfer it to a large skillet. Add veggies and beans.

Drain pineapple juice into pan with sauce and add the pineapple chunks to the quinoa, veggies, and beans.

Bring sauce to a boil, add cornstarch/water mixture and stir frequently until desired thickness.

Remove from heat.

Stir in to quinoa mixture and top with cashews.

'Til next time!

13 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

this sounds even better. i have never had adzuki beans (that i know of anyway) but am always on the verge of buying a can to try them out. i sound just go ahead and try it!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. This looks good! My husband isn't the biggest eater of spicey foods, so maybe the sweetness will draw him in.

*bookmarks to see if she can try it later*

Anonymous said...

The beans must have really enhanced the flavor of the stirfry. I love love looove this stirfry!

Alison Nicole said...

that looks so yummy! I love cashews. They are my most favorite nuts!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks like a great combination!

MeloMeals said...

Looks great! I love the addition of the adzuki beans

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

I bought pineapple and cashews at the store yesterday because I knew you were going to improve the hell out of the Vcon version! Sweet.

I'm going to try to make it tonight - if not by the end of the week! promise! (I have artichokes... and you know how I am about those..)

J said...

Pleasantly - I really like adzuki beans, it seems as if they would go just as well in some sort of dessert or sweet dish as they would in a savory dish, can't say that for most beans.

Asmexyhousewife - If you cut down on the chili oil and the pepper flakes a bit, it will be mostly sweet, I bet he'd dig that.

Romina - They did actually, and I liked adding the other veggies, it was a good combination.

Vegan_Noodle - Thanks!

Melody - Thanks! Adzuki beans rock.

Happy Herbivore - Haha! I hope it stacks up to your standards!

Artichokes! YUM! Can you believe I've never had a fresh artichoke, I wouldn't know what to do with one. But I like the (probably very icky for you) ones from the can A LOT, so I bet the fresh ones are even better. Damn the Midwest and it's stupid winter. I'm actually not even sure they would grow too well here ever, we have winter and I think those are the kind of veggies that don't produce the first year, not sure.

gc said...

that sounds good! my dad loves adzuki beans haha, and i remember him always having them growing up...but i cant say i remember what they taste like? oh and your mexican pizza looks OUTSTANDING!

J said...

Emma - Thanks for the comments! I don't blame your dad for digging on the adzuki beans, they are good. I'm not very good at describing flavor, but they are sweet and taste a little like black beans, but, well, sweet. :-)

Thank you about the Mexican pizza, it was a hit at my house, I like spicy Mexican food, Brett likes Mexican food and pizza, so it worked out wonderfully.

Monika K said...

This sounds great - I really want to start using quinoa more. The pineapple-quinoa combo sounds like a good way to keep it moist and sweet.

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

That recipe is definitely on my "want to try" list. Thanks for sharing your variation!

As for Trader Joe's, they aren't marking every vegan item with a vegan label yet, but it's apparently their goal for 2008 to do so. I'm so sorry to hear that you don't have a Trader Joe's in your area. Soon, hopefully!

vibradores said...

This won't succeed in actual fact, that is what I believe.