Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Frijole y Patata Rancheros (Bean and Potato Rancheros)

Monday, April 7, 2008

Frijole y Patata Rancheros (Bean and Potato Rancheros)

So, awhile back I had an idea for a play on Huevos Rancheros, a popular Mexican brunch dish, generally consisting of spicy eggs, fried potatoes, sliced avocado and a spicy tomato-chili sauce (of course served with corn tortillas). Well, I created a recipe that I thought accented the traditional flavors, while being half-ass healthy. Then, I forgot about it! That is until I saw Chadelle’s variation for Tofu Rancheros on her blog. With that, I remembered my recipe and decided I should try it out at my soonest convenience.

Note: This is not a quick brunch. It took me about an hour and a half to make this, and I had Brett cook the beans and rice ahead of time. However, with that said, it was one of the best brunch meals we’ve ever had, so it was well worth the time. Not to mention, I ended up with lots of left over Rancheros sauce, which I froze, so I can make this again – having the sauce already made will cut at least 30 minutes off of prep and cook time.

This meal was truly wonderful.

Frijole y Patata Rancheros















Here is a nice picture of brown rice, the spicy black beans and roasted potatoes.

Spicy Black Beans:
1-2 cups black beans, cooked
1 medium tomato, diced
½ cup diced red onion
3 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
ground cumin
chili powder
salt

Heat a few tablespoons of water in a medium skillet. Add the onion, peppers and garlic and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the black beans and spices. Cook until heated through. Add the tomatoes, cook for five more minutes.

Roasted Potatoes:
2-3 red potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
1/4 yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 serrano peppers, seeded and minced
chili powder
cumin
1-2 tbsp dry cilantro
Mexican oregano
salt

Preheat oven to 425.

Melt about 1 tsp coconut oil in a pan in the oven.

Add all the ingredients to the pan and roast for about 45 minutes, stirring 2-3 times throughout cooking.















Rice, beans and potatoes topped with Rancheros sauce.

Rancheros Sauce:
1/4 onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno, minced
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups veggie broth
1 small can tomato sauce (8 oz)
cumin
cayenne
1-2 tbsp dry cilantro
1 tbsp arrowroot starch/flour mixed with 2 tbsp warm water

Heat a bit of the veggie broth in a medium sauce pan. Add veggies and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the rest of the broth, tomato sauce and spices.

Bring the sauce to a boil. Add the arrowroot and water mixture, stirring frequently until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat.

Makes about 2 cups.















Putting it all together:
corn tortillas
Rancheros sauce
avocado, sliced
cooked short grain brown rice

In a bowl, add some rice, beans and potatoes and top with Rancheros sauce. Heat a few corn tortillas and serve with sliced avocados.

We ate these kind of like tacos. We just scooped some of each of the fillings and some sliced avocado in a tortilla, folded 'em over, and chowed down!

'Til next time!

16 comments:

Alicia said...

Seriously Jennifer, how do you do this? You're amazing! This looks great, even if there's a long time investment the first time

Leng said...

I love Huevos rancheros!! But every time that I eat an egg I feel guilty. This Frijole y Patata Rancheros (and the tofu rancheros) would seem like a nice substitute for the eggs. Someday I'll finally become a vegan.

P.S. I love it how you make Mexican food so much healthier. :-)

Bianca said...

Okay, between you and Authentic Deliciousness' blog, I'm now officially craving this! I'll have to earmark it for my next week recipe list.

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

Mmmmm, I love roasted potatoes in Mexican food!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

i was hoping you would make rancheros so i didnt have to think it up myself... p.s. im eating a vegan tamale!!!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i'm in love! this would really hit the spot right about now.

Unknown said...

Do you do takeaway? Love the potato recipe! Bravo.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word, this looks amazing! I know what I'll be cooking for dinner this weekend...

Alicia said...

Jennifer! today I found taco shells and tortillas in the international shelf of the supermarket! I thought of you :-). They where darn expensive but it's because of the supermarket. I have faith now and will look for less expensive ones asap. Your recipes rock and I'm going to try every single one!

J said...

Alice - You are too sweet. You cook up some fine looking stuff yourself on your blog. I agree, sometimes things are just worth the time.

Leng - Aw! These two recipes might just do the trick for you! Don't feel bad, it took me almost two years to even become a vegetarian. Go your own pace, and do what's right for you, if you never get there, who cares, don't beat yourself up.

Thanks! I am constantly shocked at how unhealthy traditional Mexican food is, and how unnecessary that is!

Bianca - :-)

Kumquat - I use the hell out of sweet potatoes during the winter, and use all sorts of interesting varieties of regular potatoes over the summer when the farmer's market is open. I'd get used to see potatoes. :-)

Happy Herbivore - ;-) Vegan Tamales? Yes, please. Just you wait until summer when dried corn husks are readily available, I have so many ideas. I love that since they are so bland you can make the filling as spicy as you want.

Pleasantly - Hehehe. I wish I could have more about now myself.

Cookiemouse - Ha! :-) I may, at some point, have to write a vegan Mexican cookbook - it seems to be my calling.

Ve*ganChick - Thank you so much! If you end up making these, do let me know what you think!

Alice - Awesome! I'm really excited for you! And if you have trouble finding anything else, let me know, I may have things you could substitute in.

Tortillas and taco shells are pretty expensive, I'm just too damn lazy (and don't have enough time) to make my own.

You all are making me blush with the compliments. You want to make every single recipe? ::Shivers:: Now, I'm nervous! I hope they live up to your praises. :-)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

yum yum yum, what a good-lookin' meal!

Jess said...

Wow! That looks so good! Mexican food is the true love of my life. :)

Lizzy said...

My goodness, you blow me away! Looks tempting as always ;)

Do you think the spicy black beans would fit into a regular salad? I want to make a big bowl tonight, but get bored easily of lettucce, cucumber and tomatoes only. And I still have leftover black beans in my freezer. How many cups did I make? Jeez =p

I had roasted potatoes last night, too. I think this is my favorite way of eating potatoes!

J said...

Lizzy - I personally think the beans could fit in a salad. Especially if you threw some rice or quinoa in there with a lime/cumin based dressing. Mmmmm.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

When I saw your egg version from a few posts ago it reminded me I stil hadn't tried this version... so I made it last night with tofu scramble and OMG Girl, you are amazing. but new that!

J said...

Happy Herbivore - I'm so happy you liked it. Huevos Rancheros - whether the vegetarian or vegan variety are one of our favorite meals.

You rock pretty hard yourself. I'm really digging on your spaghetti squash posts - especially Mexified squash!