Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: This Meal Inspired By: Lori - The Pleasantly Plump Vegan

Friday, April 11, 2008

This Meal Inspired By: Lori - The Pleasantly Plump Vegan

When I saw Lori's beautiful roasted veggie plate post, I knew I was going to have to make something similar, it just looked too good. (By the way Lori, I hope getting back to school starts to be less frustrating for you soon!) I have also been looking for an excuse to make mashed potatoes once more before the weather warms up and I don't feel like such hearty food anymore. So I left work a little early yesterday, stopped by the grocery store and made this delicious meal.

Thanks so much for the inspiration Lori! Yum!















I made roasted asparagus, with lots of garlic and a little bit of salt; roasted broccoli and cauliflower with, again, lots of garlic, and some basil, a little bit of a veggie bouillon cube and salt; I made garlicky mashed potatoes (I used red potatoes this time and left the skins on) and followed the Veganomicon Mushroom Gravy recipe except that I used shiitake mushrooms, so, so good; and finally some herbed brown rice with garlic, carrots, shiitake mushrooms and onions. Super tasty!

I thought I'd end today's post with a grocery store wrap up. I hate how crowded the grocery store gets (are all people this rude or is it just Americans?!), I much prefer the farmer's market but I do love coming home with the spoils. It makes me look forward to the yummy things that lie ahead!

First off, I really am way too excited about this, but look what I found.















A big bag of dried red New Mexican chilies!! Wahoo!! It's even a bad picture, but I don't care, they are beautiful.

Anyways....

Here's the produce:















We've got organic kiwi, limes, 2 organic jewel yams, an organic yellow onion, organic garlic, 4 organic avocados (how I love them), lots of serrano peppers, lots of jalapenos, a red bell pepper, a poblano pepper, organic red potatoes, a lemon, organic cilantro, bagged spinach, shiitake mushrooms, organic pink lady, piñata and gala apples.

And the rest of the stuff:















We have: organic long grain brown rice, Amy's Mushroom and Olive pizza, Amy's Roasted Vegetable pizza, regular Newman O's, dairy-free wheat-free Newman O's, organic blue corn taco shells (!), 2 spice jars, veggie broth, chocolate hemp milk, JASON Apricot Conditioner (not food, I know), organic millet, ground cinnamon, ground cumin, and pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds).

'Til next time!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roasting veggies is my favorite way to enjoy them!! =) Looks delicious!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Now your post is inspiring me!! I need a veggie plate for dinner badly. I love pinata apples! And I hate crowded grocery stores too...

Jess said...

Everything looks great, but those garlicky mashed potatoes & mushroom gravy sound particularly tempting... Yum!!

I had roasted squash with dinner the other night, and it was sooooo good!

Alicia said...

I love all the veggies you bought! And I wish I could find so many different peppers... I might ask at a mexican restaurant I know where they buy the food!

Simple and Divine said...

There is NOTHING like a house fully stocked with fresh produce! It's one of the most fabulous feelings in the world =) Everything you make emits so much comfort to me and I always adore looking at your blog, Jennifer! What are those apples like?? I've never tried them before!

Happy Saturday Pretty Lady!

Anonymous said...

oh roasted veggies sounds delicious! You know I just realized?
We're like the younger generations, tech-based, version of older women who exchange recipes. haha.

Calimaryn said...

Oh everything look so yummy! That gravy! /drool

Anke said...

haha, we had roasted veggies for dinner tonight. roasting really is the perfect way of cooking most veggies as it brings out their flavor.

Anonymous said...

That looks like some awesome comfort food!

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Looks like some great shopping you did. And roast veggies make any meal great!

J said...

Romina - Thanks!

Vegan_Noodle - I hope you get to have roasted veggies soon. Pinata apples are one of my favorite kinds. :-)

Jess - Thanks so much! Those potatoes rocked, I love mashed potatoes, but for some reason, rarely have them, must be 'cause of all the Mexican.

Roasted squash?! So good, so good.

Alice - :-( !!! You should ask them, there has to be a way that you could at least get dried chilies.

Simple and Divine - I couldn't agree more. Thank you so much, that is so nice of you to say!

Well, pink lady apples are tart and juicy yet still very sweet, pinata apples are very sweet and juicy, and gala apples are again, sweet and juicy, and have a more mealy texture. You should try all the different types of apples, you'd be amazed at the differences!

You too!

Leng - They are.

You are so very right!

Calimaryn - Thanks! I really liked using shiitake mushrooms in it!

Anke - That's pretty cool. I agree!

Bean_Mix - It was.

Chocolate Covered - Thanks. They do! And they are so easy to make.

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

YOU ARE SOOO SWEET! yr plate looks great. i'm with you on the crowded (and rude) shoppers. it's so frustrating to have an enjoyable shopping trip be spoiled by crowds.
I LOVE seeing what people bring home from the store/farmers market. looks like my kind of shopping!

Anonymous said...

that looks soooooo yummy!

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

Wait a minute... where's the tortilla?!
Just kidding ;)
Everything looks really wonderful!

jessy said...

wow! the amount of produce you buy is awesome! i always find it hilarious when i go grocery shopping - i get about the same amount of veggies and the clerks always get bug-eyed and ask if i'm stocking up for the month! cracks me up every time! the produce looks awesome - and it makes me want avocadoes now! mmmmmmmmmm!