Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Sweet Potato and Corn Enchiladas with Sweet and Spicy Enchilada Sauce and Toasted Pepitas

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sweet Potato and Corn Enchiladas with Sweet and Spicy Enchilada Sauce and Toasted Pepitas

The inspiration for this meal came from Main Squeeze, the vegetarian restaurant here in Columbia. I get their daily specials in my email, as I work near there, and will have lunch there if the special is good (they even deliver - by bike, to the university). This special was vegetarian, so I decided to try making something inspired by it at home, I loved the idea of a sweet potato and corn enchilada.

I didn't think a regular 'ol enchilada sauce would do either. So I got creative, and with a few special ingredients, ended up with a smoky, sweet and spicy enchilada sauce that accented the sweetness of the potatoes and corn quite well.

Without further ado!















Sweet and Spicy Enchilada Sauce

1 can no-salt added tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 red onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 Chiles Japones, minced (or crushed red pepper flakes)
juice of half a lime
1 tbsp agave
1 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
2 tsp organic cocoa powder
1-2 tbsp dried cilantro
dash cinnamon
cumin
chili powder
cayenne pepper (optional but recommended)
Mexican oregano
salt

Heat the water in a small sauce pan. Add the onions and cook for about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and Chiles Japones and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low while you prepare the rest of the meal.









































Sweet Potato and Corn Enchiladas with Toasted Pepitas

1 seasoned roasted yam
1/2 cup corn, cooked
1/2 red bell pepper, roasted and sliced
2 serrano peppers, roasted and sliced
1/4 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced

cooked brown rice, warmed
cumin
chili powder
ground coriander
Mexican oregano
cayenne
salt

spicy red enchilada sauce
6 corn tortillas
toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds, optional)
tofu sour cream
guacamole

NOTE: I roasted the peppers while the sweet potato was cooking and the rice was made ahead of time.

Heat a few tablespoons of water in a small skillet. Add the onions and cook for about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Drain any excess water and add veggies to the cooked corn.

Once peppers have finished roasted, add the sliced peppers to the cooked corn mixture.

Season the warmed rice.

Make the guacamole and refrigerate until needed.

If using toasted pepitas, heat an unoiled skillet for about two minutes. Add the pepitas and stir frequently, until pepitas slightly browned.

Once potatoes finished, turn oven heat down to 350.

Layer enchilada sauce in the botton of a large baking dish.

Layer a small amount of rice, sweet potatoes, and the corn/veggie mixture inside a warmed corn tortilla. Roll up and transfer to the baking dish.

Top with a bit more enchilada sauce.

Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes.

Top the enchiladas with the toasted pepitas and bake for another 5 minutes.

Serve with guacamole and tofu sour cream.

Yummy, yummy, yummy! I might be getting this Mexican thing down.

I know I'm going to have to tackle empanadas soon, I have so many ideas for fillings, oooooh and I can wait until dried corn husks are available, we're talking tamales! And soon I'll need to try the flautas recipes I've created, and well, there is all sorts of stuff that needs to be tried.

'Til next time!

7 comments:

jessy said...

these look so tasty! and the enchilada sauce sounds soooo good! it never occured to me to make my own. i'm gonna have to work this recipe in the next couple of weeks! dan's favorite dish when we go out for mexican food is "potato enchiladas". he's going to love this one! and pumpkin seeds, too - mmmmmm! crunchy, nutty, and so good - i love it all!

Bianca said...

Yum! Pepitas! Love those. You are an endless supply of ideas for Mexican cooking. It always amazes me how you come up with so many new and different ideas...

Anonymous said...

Once again, you've created another fabulous Mexican meal.

Erin said...

These enchiladas look good good good. I'm always too lazy to make my own sauce! And the pepitas on top are a nice touch.

Anonymous said...

Enchiladas! Okay I seriously need to get a plane ticket and head over to Columbia, Missouri and raid your freezer for your delicious sauces. I know you have them stashed there....haha

ChickPea said...

Oooh! Pepitas! I love them, but I have mostly enjoyed them as part of trail mix. I am excited to try them in a new way...as enchilada toppers!

J said...

Jessy - Thanks! It didn't to me either, but I never really liked the canned sauces too much so rarely made enchiladas.

You should! Tweak it and make it your own, that's why I put these recipes out there.

The pumpkin seeds were a nice addition.

Bianca - Me too! You would probably be shocked at how many Mexican (and Asian) recipes I've created to try. I probably have enough to make a new Mexican meal each night for 5 years. I have no shortage of ideas.

Thanks!

Ve*ganChick - Thank you! I know it might seem one-sided at times, but truly I really only like 3 types of cuisines: Mexican, Asian and Middle Eastern, in that order.

Erin - Thank you. You'd be surprised, it only takes 5 minutes, then you let it simmer for awhile.

Leng - Hahahahaha! You've found me out!

ChickPea - I put them in my trail mix too, they are really good with dried fruit (especially cranberries). I though the pepitas added a nice crunch and a bit of protein.