Veg*n Cooking and Other Random Musings: Sweet Potato and Quinoa Tacos

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Sweet Potato and Quinoa Tacos

I'm starting to think that sweet potatoes and Mexican food belong together. I haven't made one thing we didn't like that was Mexican (at least inspired) and also had sweet potatoes in it. This meal is no exception, and what's best about this meal is that it is quick. It took about as long as it takes for sweet potatoes to roast, about 35 minutes. Both Brett and I really liked these.

What can beat spicy, healthy, tasty Mexican food that is quick?

Without further fanfare, here is the pictures and the recipe!















Sweet Potato and Quinoa Tacos
2 yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
ground coriander
cumin
chipotle chili powder
dash cinnamon
cayenne pepper
salt
1 tsp coconut oil

Preheat oven to 425.

Melt coconut oil in a baking dish in the oven.

Combine all ingredients and roast potatoes, uncovered for 30-35 minutes, stirring a few times.

1/2 cup raw quinoa, rinsed well
1 cup water
ground coriander
cumin
chili powder
salt

Bring water to boil. Stir in quinoa and seasonings. Reduce heat and simmer until all water absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.

1/4 red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 poblano pepper, minced
2 serrano peppers, minced

Heat a few tablespoons of water in a small sauce pan. Add the peppers and onions and cook about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Drain any excess water.

Combine with the spiced quinoa.

When potatoes are done, reduce the heat to 350 and pop the taco shells in for 5 minutes.

hard taco shells
1 avocado, diced
baby spinach
salsa (we used Jalapeno Salsa and Jalapeno-Tomatillo Sauce)

Layer some spinach, sweet potatoes and quinoa in warmed taco shells. Serve with diced avocado and salsa.

These will be on our menu very often. We both really seem to love tacos.

'Til next time!

22 comments:

Alicia said...

I don't think you'll ever cook something I don't like :-)
Btw, I got my jalapeño seeds yesterday!

Kumquat Peekapoo said...

Sweet potatoes and quinoa are my husband's two favorite foods. I know this is one I can tell him to make, and he'll be like "Wheeeeeee, quinoa!" And I love them too, so we're both happy!

ChickPea said...

I totally agree that sweet potatoes were meant for Mexican. One of the best stews I ever had consisted of sweet potatoes, fire-roasted tomatoes, and spicy black beans--one of my favorite food memories!!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

those sweet potaotes look perfect

T said...

Oooh, that looks so good! And I love that you're using coconut oil- I've just started experimenting with it and so far, so good.

And yeah, I never started using sweet potatoes in mexican until recently and it is a dreamy combo. What is with these vegan culinary zeitgeists?

jessy said...

mmmmm - quinoa & sweet potatoes! what a glorious combination! i'm drooling on my keyboard!

that looks so darn tasty!

Rural Vegan said...

The ingredients list is so impressive for these, everything sounds so yummy together!

J said...

Alice - You are too sweet! :-)

Wahoo! I'm excited to hear how they do!

Kumquat - Sweet potatoes and quinoa rock! They are super easy too, so what's not to love?

Chickpea - That stew DOES sound amazing!

Pleasantly - Thanks, they were delish!

T - Thanks! I've been using coconut oil for a couple of months now. It has a neutral flavor and works great. I've also noticed I don't need to use as much.

It IS a wonderful combo. Hahahahahaha! I wish I knew! :-)

Jessy - Hehe, be careful, don't ruin the keyboard. They WERE really good, we'll be having them again soon.

Rural Vegan - It all worked quite well. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yum sweet potatoes! They look so spicy! :-)

Mama Mia said...

wow! that looks sooo good! Nice to see tasty looking vegan recipes! :)

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Gorgeous… and filled with such healthy ingredients to boot!

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

blue shells! blue shells! see, we ARE related.

Everything looks freaking awesome as usual and you make me mad that I'm writing a cookbook that I have to stall on mexi-food but! after your email today... well, we know how my weekend will be!

Anonymous said...

those tacos...man.. I just ate dinner but now i want those

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and am delighted! These tacos look fantastic and contain two of my very favorite foods, s.p. and quinoa--yay!

J said...

Leng - They were. I love spicy sweet potatoes.

Lina - Thaks so much!

Chocolate Covered - I try to keep things both healthy and tasty.

Happy Herbivore - Hahahaha! I was really stoked to find them at the store! I've got some cooking planned for this weekend too, it's been a pretty lax week of lots of 'tried and true' recipes.

Bean Mix - Hahahaha!

Ricki - Welcome! Quinoa and sweet potatoes are awesome, and they go so well together too!

Anonymous said...

thanks for your comment ^^
I was very interested to learn about u also. I find psychology to be very fascinating and considered studying it, but felt that my eating disorder history would get in the way too much. You seem like you are very skilled at it

Jess said...

Love, love, LOVE quinoa! Those sound like awesome tacos.

Ruby Red said...

sweet potato crispy tacos rock! i'm loving your cumin/coriander spice mixture...yum!

they must have been amazing with quinoa. :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

sweet potatoes work WONDERS in Mexican dishes - those tacos look FABULOUS!

Unknown said...

Jennifer, you are convincing me with every post just how fantastic Mexican food is. As I love sweet potatoes this is a perfect recipe for me.

J said...

Bean_Mix - Not a problem! I am impressed with your comfort with horses, I'm actually really scared of horses.

Psychology is fascinating, but had I been the person then that I am now, I would have studied someting different, like environmental science. However, the skills, such as critical thinking, that studying psychology teaches you are priceless, I'm happy I have those skills as my eyes are open now, and I'm critical of everything, especially psychology.

You are right, it is probably best that you don't study psychology, you don't want to turn those skills inward too much, you'll drive yourself crazy!

I don't know about all that, but I appreciate it. :-)

Jess - Quinoa is amazing, I can truly just eat it plain. Thanks!

Ruby Red - Those flavors go really well together. Throw some lime in there, and man, it's really good. :-)

Cookiemouse - Hehehe! Well thanks! I hope that 'real' Mexicans don't think I'm making a mockery of their cuisine.

Sweet potatoes - which is something I used to hate - are now one of my favorite foods.

www.muebles-en-valladolid.com said...

Oh my god, there's so much worthwhile information here!